During the week monsoon activity was good. Monsoon advanced very fast and covered entire country on 29th June 2018.
Progress of monsoon since 26th June 2018:
- On 26th June monsoon covered West Bengal.
- On 27th June monsoon covered Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Bihar, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, East Uttar Pradesh.
- On 28th monsoon covered Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi, entire Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab.
- And on 29th June monsoon covered entire country.
What was the reason of Monsoon advance over the country?
The primary reason of monsoon advancement was the presence of a cyclonic circulation. This cyclonic circulation was developed over North Konkan and adjoining South Gujarat on 24th June supported monsoon very much to advance. This cyclonic circulation gave good amount of rain wherever it reached.
- On 25th it moved to Gujarat and neighbourhood
- on 26th it moved to South West Madhya Pradesh
- on 27th it shifted to South West Rajasthan and finally
- on 29th it reached to West Rajasthan triggering monsoon to cover whole India.
Another important system was a cyclonic circulation over North West Bay of Bengal. This system triggered the monsoon branch of Bay of Bengal. It moved to Chhattisgarh on 28th and then merged with monsoon trough on 29th June.
Due to above two system whole North India and North West India received good rain.
Forecast for the week 01-07-2018 to 07-07-2018.
In the coming week monsoon activity will become weak. During first half of the week that is from 01st July to 03rd July monsoon trough will move towards north from its normal position and will rest to the foothills of Himalaya. This situation is called break in monsoon for central India.
(Read about the monsoon trough and how it affects rainfall over India.)
Central part of India will observe westerly wind and there will be no rainfall. But on 06th a cyclonic circulation is going to form over Odisha coast. Because of this system west coast of India will get moderate to heavy rain from 04th July to 07th July but interior Maharashtra and Gujarat state will not get rainfall.
However the cyclonic circulation will be reaching to central India by 07th or 08th July. So at the end of the week again Marathwada and Vidarbha have to take the benefit of rainfall starting from 07th onwards. Gujarat state has to wait till 10th of July to start again rainfall activity.